Christopher is a veteran criminal defense attorney with over 20+ homicide trials under his belt. He has tried complex cases in almost every county in Iowa and brought that experience to the Colorado Springs Public Defender Office. As a senior public defender, he tried numerous complex cases, homicides, and other serious cases. He also has experience with the complexities of sex cases after trying numerous sexually violent predator cases in civil court in Iowa. At the Colorado Springs office, he was in charge of the intern program and helped younger attorneys with the transition to district court. After leaving the Public Defender system, he comes to Clifton Black as an experienced and competent litigator that can handle the most complex criminal cases.
Christopher grew up in the driftless region of Iowa but longed for the mountains. After an almost ten year career in Iowa, he followed his sister to Colorado Springs. Not long after moving here, his parents made the leap as well. In his spare time, Christopher enjoys hiking and camping with his dog Farley. He rescued Farley on a bike trail in Farley, Iowa in 2018. He also is an avid cyclist, is a 200 hr RYT yoga instructor, and enjoys all the “Colorado things.”
- University of Northern Iowa, BA, 2007.
- Creighton University School of Law, JD, 2011
Memberships, Associations, and Organizations
- Member: Colorado Bar Association
- Iowa Bar Association
- Dubuque Bar Association
- Polk County Bar Association
- Former president: Young Lawyers of Dubuque, Iowa
- Former treasurer: Iowa Public Defender Association
- Board Member: Iowa Farm Sanctuary, current
- President of Fellowship of Christian Law Association
- President of Law Ambassadors
- Member of Creighton Committee for Academic Discipline
- Member of Creighton Athletic Advisory Board
- Member of Creighton Public Interest Summer Clerkship Committee
- Senior Deputy Public Defender Office of the State Public Defender, Colorado
- Colorado Springs, Colorado Trial attorney in a high volume State Public Defender office with primary responsibility to appear in all felony cases in front of Chief Judge William Bain. First Chair for numerous 1st degree murder trial cases (Romero 21CR254, Rogers 20CR3368) and first chair on other life in prison trial cases. Law school intern supervisor. Intro to district court program supervisor. Participated in mentorship of new attorneys, new to district court attorneys, and assist
- Special Defense Unit Attorney, PD 3
- State Public Defender, Des Moines, Iowa Special Defense Unit Attorney with state-wide responsibility for the trial court defense of persons accused of committing Class A and B Felonies under the Iowa Criminal Code, and persons accused of being Sexually Violent Predators under Iowa Code chapter 229A, as well as appeals in 229A civil commitment cases. Litigation responsibility for high level trial defense involving complex legal issues, expert testimony, and knowledge of both civil and criminal rules of procedure. Tried numerous high profile life in prison cases, including first degree murder trials, kidnapping trials, and high profile sex abuse cases.
- Office of the State Public Defender, Dubuque, Iowa
- Worked with five other attorneys handling over 4,200 criminal defense cases per year. Represented indigent clients in several counties across Northeastern Iowa. Litigated numerous class A murder cases. Represented indigent defendants in misdemeanor, juvenile, and felony cases. Mentored and trained new attorneys and interns. Wrote legal motions and memorandum and managed high-volume caseload. Appeared in daily court proceedings and litigated over twenty jury trials.
Awards and Recognitions
- 2012 Telegraph Heard and Biz Times “Rising Star Award” for business people under the age of 40.
- Outstanding Service to the Law School Award