Parents pursuing a divorce or legal separation often worry about how they will care for their children with a reduced income. Child support laws in Colorado protect children’s basic needs and ensure that parents support them, financially and otherwise. Whether you need help establishing paternity to hold your child’s father economically responsible for the care of your child or you are seeking to create or modify a child support agreement, the dedicated legal team at the Law Offices of Clifton Black, PC, can assist you. Give us a call today to discuss your goals.
Experience You Can Trust
Our attorneys have years of experience handling family law cases throughout Colorado. Our goal is to provide you with exceptional and customized legal solutions to ensure a fair and equitable resolution. When it comes to child support matters, we proudly provide a wide array of legal services, including:
- Assessing your circumstances and goals
- Developing a strategy to seek or defend a child support modification
- Assisting with creating and negotiating an agreement to modify child support
- Filing a petition to increase or decrease child support obligations or responding to a petition already filed
- Representing and defending your best interests in court at a contested hearing regarding child support modifications
Whatever the specifics of your case may be, you can trust that we have the experience and skills necessary to help you obtain your desired outcome.
Modifying an Existing Child Support Order
Child support obligations often arise in connection with divorce proceedings, but an order could also be issued in a paternity case or via the administrative process. Regardless of its origins, once a Judge enters an order for child support, it remains in full force and effect unless replaced by another valid order. It acts as a type of “private law,” and there can be severe consequences for such violations as nonpayment. However, sometimes circumstances may arise that require a modification to an existing child support order, such as:
- A parent’s sudden loss of employment
- A significant change in income or expenses for one parent
- The removal or addition of a child to the current child support order
- The addition of provisions regarding the child’s medical care, health insurance, or extraordinary/unreimbursed medical expenses
Our experienced and caring family law attorneys are prepared to guide you through each step of the modification process, whether you are petitioning for the modification or responding to a petition filed by your former spouse.
Get Started with a Compassionate Family Law Attorney Today
Whether you want to increase the amount of child support you receive, modify the amount you have to pay or hold the other parent accountable for not paying what they owe, the Law Offices of Clifton Black, PC, can assist you. We have years of combined experience handling family law matters in Colorado Springs and around the surrounding areas. We invite you to schedule a consultation with us today to learn more about how we can help you resolve your child support matter.